Thursday, April 17, 2008

Spring


The magnolia is blooming, we had what I hope is our last frost last night. The peas are up, lettuce & spinach in the garden. Beets & onions are slowly coming round. Transplanted the lilies to make room for cole crops. I like broccoli, bok choy, brussels sprouts, and cauliflower. The bees are flying and have found the sugar water feeder.


I began gardening when my children were small. In part to share my heritage and love of the outdoors with them, but mostly because it is something I could do in small chunks of time. Before kids, I would spend hours in the studio making art. Hours and kids are not compatible, so I found an outlet that released creativity, but in metered doses and my kids could follow me out there. Being outdoors helps forestall depression, gives you age spots when you forget sunscreen, and makes you appreciate being alive. My parents are gardeners, and so are my children. It is an item of discussion on Sunday afternoon phone calls. "Are your peas up yet?" " My tulips just blew open today!" Keeps the family together.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

so, when do you have the time.....?????

veggies, bees and boats...how do you make it work?????!!!!