Friday, January 1, 2010

Happier New Year


Loss and hope for better days for me. For you, my friend, my consolation, my encourager, to the girl who taught me to jump double dutch, the gal who shared recipes and friendship, who let me cut her hair (once) and told me she liked it, I wish a glorious morning on the far shore, Fiddlers Green. You should not have left so soon.

We never finished the book, the fabric has not aged enough, the children haven't had enough kisses yet. You crossed the bar without learning to swim. You kept the faith. You are friendship itself, trusting that inner heart, loving without holding on, gracious to the max, interested in everything, and curious to the end.

Oh, the inexpressible comfort of feeling safe with a friend,

Having neither to weigh thoughts or measure words,

But pouring them right out, just as they are - chaff and grain together -

Certain that a faithful hand will take and sift them, and keep what is worth keeping,

And with a breath of kindness blow the rest away.
Dinah Maria Mulock Craik

R.I.P.

No comments: