Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Recycling

I have found a number of ways to recycle items which have gotten another use or two, saving me from having to purchase them. First the packing case was dismantled and all the screws saved. I have used the screws to devise a clamping method for the scarfs.




The nice thing about step scarfs is that they are very easy to align as well as being strong. With the first method I used to join panels of plywood, I had to plane 8:1 bevels and then screw one board to an under board, then carefully align the second one atop the slippery surface. Wet epoxy acts like grease and makes everything slide. The step scarfs don't allow sliding in one plane , which really helps the builder to maintain the designers intent. Back to the recycling, I used the screws from the shipping container to sandwich the glued panels between two pieces of plywood- also recycled from panels headed to the dumpster.



Another recycled item has rained down from above. The wiring in the ceiling of the warehouse is being replaced where necessary. I have been collecting the short bits and trimmings from the floor. After stripping off the cable cover, I get three copper wire ties from each piece to use to "stitch" the hull together. Copper is good for this use for two reasons; it is ductile and mailable, yet stiffens with twisting to keep the joint together and it transfers heat readily allowing stuck joints to be released. After use these wire bits can still be recycled for cash at our local metals reclamation center. This will save me having to purchase copper wires.



I am also recycling the acid brush I use to mix epoxy with by cleaning it after each use with white vinegar. White vinegar is inexpensive and denatures uncured epoxy resin and hardener mix.The vinegar is a substitute for acetone, with obvious health benefits. Tuna cans are saved for use as mixing containers as are the lids from other containers that can't be recycled in our
township.

No comments: