Thursday, April 30, 2009
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
Here is my trash from building this boat so far. It is mostly sticky tape and used gloves from epoxy. It is at the six inch mark for the end of April.
Sanding, sanding. Never ends. That was What I did on SPARTINA today.
Worked a bit at the seaport, screwing down the deck on the sneakbox after Hartley faired the curve and matched the angles. Sneakbox angles are sharp.
SILENT MAID was getting her deck glued down and bolts made to hold on her 1600 lbs plus keel ballast.
Monday, April 27, 2009
Tuesday, April 21, 2009
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
Both the sneakbox and Silent Maid were getting Decking today. In my absence last week the ducker was painted and dumped in the river to take up. I was painting primer a bit using a mirror to check the underside of the deckbeams of the sneakbox. Rained all day today. Been a rainy week.
My bees swarmed on Thursday last, so I dumped them into a new box. Came home from the cape, they were still there. Got to move them a little each night to get the new hive back with the other one.
Tuesday, April 14, 2009
Monday, April 13, 2009
Wednesday, April 8, 2009
Tuesday, April 7, 2009
Shortened the cradle today to make sanding easier. It was nice to have it up high for the unfolding part, but now that I have to work on the inside and all the wires are out, it is easier down low. I am glad I put the wheels on. It rolls nicely in a straight line so even from the ladder I could pull it to a new workspace.
I finished pulling the wires from the bow section. Like orthodontics in a big way. I had to go to my orthodontist today. She is the best.
Faired and sanded the joints between sides & bottom.
Yesterday, I installed the inner keel and taped the bow seams. Installed an oak backing plate for the bow eye. Faired the seat supports.
Saturday, April 4, 2009
Friday, April 3, 2009
Thursday, Charles & I began adding the next-to-last planks. When these were scribed, planed, and screwed in place, we ran stock for the two sheer strakes. They were milled down to 1/2 inch and then we traced to old planks plus two inches and cut them out. We just got them clamped on when it was time to go.
On Friday, I scribed and fit the two sheer strakes and screwed them on. John and the rest of the guys flipped the boat.
I made a modest repair to the mast partners and then chopped the sheer line with a slick. What a great tool! It is a very heavy two handed chisel that goes through half inch cedar like butter. First, though I had to mark it using a batten on the inside to the tops of the deck-beams. A few had to be adjusted. The outside of the planks were marked with a gauge. I'll put a pic of that up later.
On a sneackbox the deck is laid on top of the planks and screwed to them, so the angle chopped and planed off has to match that of the deck-beams.
Here is the challenge ducker for the poling race. Workshop vs the TSCA.
Last, here is a close-up of the home-made mahgony plywood for the deckhouse of the Silent Maid.